This page provides general information about programming options and functions Surf New Media can implement on your news site.
- Email and SMS gateways are programmed into sites to allow you to quickly share breaking and general news alerts with your readers via email or mobile phones. Readers can pick their preference for receiving the news.
- AP Content Enrichment
- Our programmers can program customized iAtom feeds for AP content enrichmen, which require a specific fees needed to share content with the Associated Press
- Blocks are a general layout item on your website. Each item in your site is placed in a configurable block, allowing layout to change when needed. Ads, sidebar items, menus and general content are all placed in various blocks throughout the website. Blocks are configurable on a per page basis and can be generated dynamically.
- Blogs can be configured in a number of ways, the most basic being staff or site blogs. Our programmers can also implement community blogging on your news site.
- Whether you would like to integrate your exisitng Baseview classified system within your site or have us create a classified advertising system (both paid and free) for your readers, we are able to program and integrate a system that will work best for your newspaper.
- Readership commenting on articles and posts is available through the site's core programming and includes spam controls, such as captcha forms and link blocking. Additional commenting integration is available through third-party systems, such as Facebook and Disques. Third-party integration, however, is a premium option.
- Content Management System
- A content management system (CMS) is a system providing a collection of procedures used to manage work flow in a collaborative environment. This is the main base for your website, where staff will add content (articles, photos, etc.) and the user will be able to read the articles, comment on items, take part in polls and be given a set of privileges on the site. The CMS also handles all aspects of the functions, including paywall, transactions, scheduling and user management.
- A dynamic web page is a kind of web page that has been prepared with fresh information (content and/or layout), for each individual viewing. Allow your site to work for you and your users dynamically. Our programming team has to expertise to have user-specific content, section-specific content and even time-specific content rendered on your site dynamically. This means someone in California will get information pertaining to a specific section on your site, while another user in Australia can get their own customized content based solely on their location, interests and/or viewing habits.
- Event calendars can be implemented to allow user-generated items. Calendars can be customized local events, sortable by region, city or category.
- Facebook integration includes Facebook App development for interactive commenting between your site and Facebook page as well as custom-designed applications for sharing and promoting content. Authorizing a Facebook login (Facebook Connect) for your site is available as well.
- Although many news sites have moved away from these types of community posting options, Surf New Media can program in forums to allow for in-depth discussions between users and content.
- Our programming department is able to provide custom galleries on your website, whether you need custom media galleries for users, per article photo galleries, or a mixture of both. Flexibility is key with all types of galleries we are able to develop on your site.
- Integration allows various components, whether internal or external, to work together on the site for seamless configuration. An example is integration of an external ad system onto the site; the ads will appear on your site as if you were using an internal ad engine, with configurations and management from within the site structure.
- Landing Pages
- Programming options include the ability to designate different landing pages for each section of your site. This allows for content to be displayed on a per-section basis, rather than blogrolling articles onto category pages.
- Location Services
- Working on the same principle as Google Maps, location services are available for location-based ads, content, user managements and networking.
- Several options are available for newsletters, including a built-in newsletter system, which can send out individual items to subscribed readers; integration with third-party vendors are also available, including Constant Contact and MailChimp.
- PDF Pageflip technology is available to give you the opportunity to upload your PDFs to the website, where each will be converted into a readable format for online viewing. Integrating pageflip technology works best for sites wanting to publish their print edition online as well as keep the editions behind a paywall.
- Offering the most flexibility in the industry, we are able to program flexible paywalls for your newspaper. Offerings include archive-only paywall; content-specific paywall options; full paywall; per-article paywall; and timed (or metered) paywall systems. The flexibility to use a mixture of these options is available as well.
- Pre-programmed roles allowing for administrators to have full control over the site, while offering lesser roles limited function on the site. This is useful for reporters to post and article to the site, but not have it published until the article is approved and edited by an editor. Roles also play into cutomized paywalls to limit what content can be seen by a subscriber vesus a non-subscriber.
- This allows you to schedule when an article or other content type should be published and/or unpublished automatically.
- Sharing Links
- Social Media Sharing Links are the links appearing within (or below) articles, where readers can submit or share the article to Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites.
- Shopping Cart
- The shopping cart is a basic function which is needed to handle any online orders. The shopping cart will be used for online subscription and can be extended to include payments for classified ads, print subscriptions and other web orders.
- Social Network
- Integration with Twitter, Facebook ad Google+ allows visitors to easily share content within social media sites. Additionally, options include the ability to login to your news site via social networks as well.
- Submission Forms
- Submission forms are helpful on news sites to collect information from users for various items, such as birth announcements, wedding announcement, calendar items, obituaries, etc.
- A breaking news ticker (scrolling text across website) can be implemented and tied directly to breaking news email alerts.
- Programming options are available for Twitter integration for both showing feeds from Twitter as well as posting to Twitter from the site. Login options are also available.
- User Management
- Our programming can allow you to manage how visitors interact with your site as well as catch user data for marketing purposes.
- Video integration and podcasting needs. Video options in integrated flash video players and integration with third-party systems, such as YouTube and Vimeo. Podcasting features include on-site players with ability to share files through iTunes.